Beyond Basics and Who We Are
Beyond Basics is a 501(c)(3) student-centered, literacy non-profit, serving students in Detroit public schools since 2002. We partner with principals and schools to bring students to literacy by providing reading, tutoring, and supplemental programs – writing, art, mentoring, and partnerships – throughout the school day for students in grades Pre-K through 12. In addition to providing these services, we provide free books to every student and parent that enters our classroom.
We change the destinies of students’ lives by getting them to read proficiently. We guide and support vulnerable children to develop fundamental educational skills. Above all else, we move children in K-12th grades beyond the basics and prepare them for productive and meaningful lives.
Five principles guide and govern our actions at all times.
- Respect: We regard others and ourselves with dignity, kindness, and respect.
- Positive Energy: We approach our work with a positive attitude and energy. We are progressive thinkers. We look for the good.
- Mission-focused: We are passionately committed to improving the lives of others.
- Goal-Oriented: We strive for excellence. We use proven systems and methods, yet we are always looking for innovative and efficient ways to achieve more.
- Team Player: One of us is not as smart as all of us. We collaborate as part of a great team. We can rely on each other to honor our word.
THE ORGANIZATION CURRENTLY HAS:
- 1500+ plus volunteers
- 47 staff members supporting our daily school programs and our office
- Published over 70,000 books written by our students since our incorporation
It is through the students’ own vocalized interests and our yearning to help, we plan continued growth so that we can help even more children burdened by extreme poverty.